Prayer For The Beloved
3 John 1-2
1. There are several Gaius’s mentioned throughout the New Testament – (Romans 16:23; 1 Cor. 1:14; Acts 19:20; 20:4) – and in the present text.
2. Gaius is a member of the body of Christ – we know this from the term “Beloved” which is from the word for “God like love” (agape’) and this word (agapetos), and because of his love for the Truth.
3. John greatly desires Gaius to prosper – in all ways.
4. …Desires that he be in health;
5. That all of these things come as a result of Gaius’s prosperity of soul, and in the same fashion.
I. THIS PRAYER COULD BE FOR ALL WHO ARE THE BELOVED OF GOD – LOVING THE TRUTH (v. 1)
II. WITH GREAT DESIRE THE BELOVED PRAY FOR THE PROPERITY OF ALL WHO BELIEVE IN THE LORD JESUS CHRIST (v. 2).
III. WITH GREAT DESIRE THE BELOVED PRAY FOR THE GOOD HEALTH OF ALL WHO ARE IN THE LORD JESUS CHRIST (v. 2).
IV. THE BELOVED WHO PRAY AND BELIEVE WILL BE HAVING A PROSPEROUS SOUL IN THE LORD JESUS CHRIST (v. 2).
i. As members of the Body of the Lord Jesus we pray and desire the well being of our brethren in Christ.
ii. We realize that prosperity means much more than a gain in possessions, power, or prestige; but rather prosperity with God in His Son Christ Jesus.
iii. As we grow in the faith and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ we are healthy in heart, faith, doctrine, and life.
iv. When we realize the prosperity of our souls in Christ we will be faithful to pray for the prosperity, and health of all who will believe Christ Jesus
-Tim A. Blankenship